I remember this book as a collection of jokes and funny anecdotes by Gary Lising. It came to mind yesterday as the decision of the court regarding former Joseph Ejercito's plunder case came down. I'm usually not into habit of talking about the political situation of our country. However, it has come to the point that not one Filipino in this country (or in the numerous other contries all over the world that we have 'invaded'), is frustrated at the current political circus. That means, I'm on that boat too. I love the Philippines and there is so much to be proud of about being a Filipino - we're basically good people who are hardworking, very talented and very family-oriented. But right now, I'm frustrated at what is happening to our government. I basically feel helpless. This is supposed to be a democracy, of the people, by the peole and for the people. Lately though, I can only laugh at the government's not-so-subtle attempts to lay low and pretend that everything is going well. But it's not...There are many things that has to be changed to make our country a better one.
...if we'd only stop with the crab mentality and learn to work together
...if we'd only listen more and talk less
...if we'd only do more today so that there would be less to do for tomorrow
...if we only live the bayanihan spirit
...if we'd only appreciate the beauty of our country the way foreigners do and take care of our environment and patronize our own products more
Maybe then there would be more reasons to smile instead of laughing at our situation.