Saturday, December 16, 2006

Press Con!

My first time was somewhat of a success.

It was a laborious task to train writers (since i was in trainig my self and my experience is limited to blog entries and chronicles of field trips and other school events). I honestly had no idea what to expect so I was really groping in the dark hoping to hit something right on the button. Fortunately, the kids were very much game and enthusiastic to get their hands dirty so they had no problem with the extended school days for our writing trainings. They were asked to read up on current local and national events to be ready with anything that may be thrown their way. Due to the lack of time, since we were told late about the date of the contest, we weren't able to focus much on technique and style of writing. The good news is that our contestant for Editorial Cartooning, Aaron Bolinto, made it to the Regional Press Conference. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to go since I was playing the keyboard for the Communicants. It was truly a blessing that his parents are so supportive that they volunteered to accompany him to Lagawe, Ifugao. Buti na lang he went since he also qualified for the National Press Conference in February here in Baguio. Hay, al least sure ako na makakapunta kasi dito lang.

I hope I don't forget the not-so-good experiences I have this year because I plan to come out with more winners in next year's contest.